Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Off to a good start

Thanks for all the post so far.

Still feeling confident about having the procedure.

I finally read the directions and information of what to expect after the surgery. I'll be in ICU for 2 days before being admitted into my own room. I'll have a breathing tube for the first 24-36 hours while in ICU along with a feeding tube in an artery in my neck. I'll also have a urine tube inserted. I guess they'll have me pretty numbed up due to a spinal tap from surgery which is why I have to have all this assistance with bodily functions. They will also have me strapped down so that I don't pull out any of the tubes. Hmm, not the kind of bondage I'd always imagined... ;-).

It all sounds pretty invasive and I guess it is. It kind of freaks me out to thing about it but I know that once I visit the ICU a few days before the surgery, as per my doctors recommendations, it should help to lessen the drama of all the surrounding after coming out of surgery.

I've been having really severe dreams about all kinds of drama. I kind of feel like Dorothy in the Wizard of oz. No flying monkeys of wicked witches but lots of music and dancing and weird clothing. Lots of you (my friends and family) in my dreams. No one is in any danger but definitely life defining moments, like Tony and Gary's wedding, Suzanne dancing, former dance co-workers crossing paths etc. So I guess my mind is trying to tell my body that all will be fine even though it will be going through an experience as if I'd been really banged up in an accident. But again I'm blessed to have the opportunity to go through this by choice by having the luxury of knowing what I'm going to be going through.

I'm still working up until February 14th which is the day I'll be flying to NY to meet up with John where he has work from the 11-15th. This will be our last hurrah before the surgery date on the 19th. I'll have someone update this blog for me while in the hospital so feel free to check this out to find out how things are going.

Be well and thanks for all you love, support and well wishes. John will be needing some help when I get home so don't hesistate to ask him if he needs help. It's going to be overwhelming for him as well.

XOXO, Jesse

3 comments:

GadgetLover said...

Hey Jesse - I just stopped by to check out your blog and send some love your way! I am so glad you are doing this - it is a great way to keep those that care about you informed and share the experience. MUCH love, Don Wallar

Anonymous said...

Hi Jesse...Hello Blogbuddies!!!So glad you set this blog up.I love you very much Jesse . I know this is such a difficult time for you . You'r amazing attitude will carry you thru this with flying colors. Let John know I volunteer to help him out in any way I can.You know what a great cook I am (LOL).LOVE,SCOTT

Anonymous said...

Have you thought about doing some kind of video documentation of this whole thing ? Someone should interview you on camera about your feelings at various points. I mean, if you think it's appropriate. I don't know if that would be more stressful, but it might be cool to edit when you are recuperating ?